Navigating the World of Puppy Nutrition
Selecting the right food for your growing puppy can be overwhelming, but at Lake Pine Animal Hospital, we're here to simplify the process and ensure your puppy's nutritional success. High-quality ingredients and specialized diets are crucial for your puppy's health. Remember, each puppy is unique, so if you have any concerns about their diet or nutrition, don't hesitate to consult us.
Recommended Puppy Diets
Our recommended diets meet or exceed AAFCO standards and are specially formulated for puppies under one year of age:
Hill’s Science Diet Puppy
- Options for Large Breed, Small Breed, Healthy Advantage, and Various Protein Choices.
- Varieties for Small Puppy, Medium Puppy, Large Puppy, and Breed-Specific Formulas.
- Options include Purina One + Healthy Puppy and Purina One + Large Breed Puppy.
Purina Pro Plan
- Includes Pro Plan Large Breed, Pro Plan Puppy, Pro Plan Small Breed, and Sensitive Skin and Stomach Formulas.
Understanding BEG Diets
BEG diets (Boutique, Exotic, Grain-Free) often mimic ancestral diets with higher protein levels but have been linked to heart issues like Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs. We recommend choosing well-researched brands with proven feeding trials.
Feeding Guide for Your Puppy
- 6-12 Weeks: Feed specially formulated puppy food four times a day. Large-breed puppies should have appropriate food to avoid nutrient deficiencies.
- 3-6 Months: Reduce feedings to three times a day.
- 6 Months: Transition to feeding twice daily. Adjust portions based on your puppy's appetite and body condition.
- After 1 Year: Most adult dogs are fed two half-portions a day.
Tailoring Your Puppy’s Diet to Their Needs
Your puppy's food intake may vary based on their breed, size, and activity level. Post-spaying or neutering, calorie requirements might slightly decrease. Always monitor your puppy's growth and adjust feeding accordingly.
Lake Pine Animal Hospital - Your partner in nurturing a healthy, vibrant life for your furry family member.
If you have questions and you'd like to reach out to us, you can call us directly at (919) 380-1157, or you can email us at [email protected]. Don't forget to follow us on social media Facebook, Instagram.