Lake Pine Animal Hospital - Comprehensive Puppy Care and Parasite Prevention
Welcome to the Joyful Journey of Puppy Parenthood!
Your adorable puppy is a delightful addition to your family, and we at Lake Pine Animal Hospital are excited to partner with you in ensuring the best care for your new furry friend. Our dedicated medical team and staff have compiled essential information on puppy care, focusing particularly on parasite prevention, to help you navigate this wonderful journey with ease and confidence.
Puppy Parasite Prevention: A Critical Aspect of Puppy Care
- Common in puppies and can be contracted pre-birth, through mother's milk, or environmental exposure.
- Can cause symptoms like weight loss, diarrhea, vomiting, anemia, and itchy bottoms.
- Some parasites are zoonotic, meaning they can infect humans.
- We recommend routine deworming for all puppies, regardless of visible symptoms, and at least two microscopic fecal examinations during puppy visits.
- Spread by mosquitoes, leading to severe lung disease, heart failure, and damage to other organs.
- Annual testing is required for ongoing heartworm prevention.
- We advocate for year-round heartworm and intestinal parasite prevention, with complimentary samples provided during your first visit and monthly doses thereafter until full growth.
Fleas & Ticks:
- External parasites that can cause serious health issues, including tapeworm, allergies, and life-threatening anemia in young pets.
- Ticks carry diseases like Lyme disease, posing a risk to both pets and humans.
- Effective prevention often requires edible treatments, which are more effective and easy to administer.
Intestinal Worms (Specifically):
- Hookworm, roundworm, and whipworm are prevalent in puppies and are zoonotic.
- Good hygiene practices are essential to prevent spread.
- Regular deworming and annual fecal sample checks are recommended.
- Tiny parasites causing intense ear scratching and sometimes producing a dark, smelly discharge.
- Differentiating between ear mites and infections is vital, requiring a vet examination for accurate treatment.
Prevention is the Best Treatment
We strongly recommend year-round parasite prevention for all pets. Multiple safe and effective preventative options are available at our hospital.
Our team is committed to guiding you through every step of your puppy's health journey. We're here to answer any questions and provide the necessary care to ensure a healthy, happy life for your new companion.
Lake Pine Animal Hospital - Partnering with you for the health and happiness of your furry family member.
If you have questions and you'd like to reach out to us, you can call us directly at (919) 380-1157, or you can email us at [email protected]. Don't forget to follow us on social media Facebook, Instagram.