Animal found near Olive Chapel Road and New Hill Olive Chapel Road

Two people are recovering after a rabid cat bit them on Wednesday, May 16. The incidents happened near Olive Chapel Road and New Hill Olive Chapel Road.

Wake County Animal Control officers captured the cat and took it to the North Carolina State Laboratory for Public Health where it tested positive for rabies on Thursday, May 17. The residents bitten by the cat have been started on appropriate preventive care.

Wake County advises residents to never handle wildlife or stray animals. Instead, they are encouraged to call Animal Control (919-856-6911) to appropriately handle the situation.

The chances of encountering animals that can transmit rabies increase as the temperatures warm. Wake County encourages pet owners to protect their pets by making sure their rabies vaccinations are up to date.

The Wake County Animal Center holds rabies clinics throughout the county, providing vaccines for only $5. Owners unsure of their pet’s vaccination status should contact their veterinarian.

Here are additional steps people can take to prevent the spread of rabies:

  • When pets are outside, they should be in a fenced-in area or on a leash. Do not leave food outside for pets, because it will also attract wildlife.
  • If you see a wild or unfamiliar animal, do not approach it, even if it seems to be behaving normally. Animals showing signs of rabies should be reported to local animal control as soon as possible.
  • Infected bats can also spread rabies. If you find a bat in a living space of your home, try to enclose it in a small room or closed-off area, and call animal control. Do not let the bat out of your house.
  • If a wild animal showing signs of rabies bites your pet and draws blood or gets in a fight with your pet, the pet is at risk for exposure to rabies. Call animal control for assistance right away. Pets that have had a rabies vaccine need to get a booster shot within 72 hours of the bite.
  • If you or someone you know has been bitten by a potentially rabid animal, wash the wound immediately with soap and water and contact your doctor.

To report animal complaints and stray animals:

  • In Wake County (except Cary, Garner, Holly Springs and Raleigh), call 919-856-6911
  • In Cary, call 919-319-4517
  • In Garner, call 919-772-8810
  • In Holly Springs, call 919-557-9111
  • In Raleigh, call 919-831-6311

For more information, visit the Rabies page at